Small town family, Mollie, Will, Abigail, and Owen Smiley and Briar

Urbanna is an old historic town on the Rappahannock River. Its a small town with a big heart. As a family we try to eat local, grow as much food as we can in our own yard, try to raise children with an ecological identity, play hard, exercise, explore our area, fish, ride bikes, swim, and snuggle

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spring time reward when grades are done... or when fresh mint is around

The Spring Goddess

You know when summertime is here when grades and exams are finished and you walk out to your garden for a fresh stalk of mint for a fresh mojito. This is one of my seasonal favorites, but it is a labor of love. I was taught this special treat in South FL at my mom's where we were sharing my Mom's house with my oldest brother from NYC. (yes my oldest brother lives in NYC, diversity is good in a family and everywhere!!) Michael is a very successful crew coach and is the head crew coach of Columbia University. GO Fast Columbia. (http://www.gocolumbialions.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9600&SPID=4051&SPSID=45289) So my story begins with my brother in the kitchen making the first mojito; after several minutes and alot of work my Mom (Geezee) is delivered the first one. (It's good to be the queen) Mom raves and of course now we all want one. NOW, one would think that my brother would TEACH someone else how to make a NYC mojito so he wouldn't have to make one for every person every time someone wanted one...... but "we didn't know what we were doing"! Sweet sometimes ignorance is bliss. I had a blast knocking back mojitos and watching Tom Cruise from cocktails slave away making not only tons of mojitos, but risotto as well. Lesson learned teach your friends out of the gate how to make their own. Love ya Mike, Go fast Columbia!!!!!
Mojito!!!me ASAP
1. several leaves of mint down in the middle of your favorite glass (mine is an old bottle turned into a glass given to me by my mom, GeeZee)
2. Squeeze two whole limes down on top of the mint leaves
3. One Tablespoon of sugar
4. Mix and crush everything together, careful not to crush the mint too much it makes it a bit bitter.
5. Fill the glass full of ice
6. Fill the glass half full of white rum, Cruzan is awesome but Bicardi is perfect
7. Fill the rest of the glass with club soda
8. Mix aggressively!!! I use another larger cup to pour the drink back and fourth
9. Be careful when you give your NYC brother fresh patch of mint!! Love it Hope he visits more, and we hope to visit NYC soon for some concrete jungle love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment