Small town family, Mollie, Will, Abigail, and Owen Smiley and Briar

Urbanna is an old historic town on the Rappahannock River. Its a small town with a big heart. As a family we try to eat local, grow as much food as we can in our own yard, try to raise children with an ecological identity, play hard, exercise, explore our area, fish, ride bikes, swim, and snuggle

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Here's a peek into our garden right now. We are in the weeds literally and figuratively, but we make some progress every day. Squash bugs are our biggest insect enemy and crab grass our meanest weed. It has been a typical beginning to August, mostly hot and humid with a few good storms and a few cooler, breezy beautiful days. Abigail and I planted this "back gate garden" late in the season, so it is just beginning to bloom. It is really sweet.
The gourds and baby pumpkins that came from Dodie and Paw are climbing their way to the top of the Chikin' Coop. The squash bugs are causing some trouble, but there are a few nice gourds at the moment.
100's of tomatoes...plum and Virginia Select. First batch of sauce is in the freezer.
The mint flowered and is beautiful. It is covered with pollinators. I hope that they are doing their job.
The fig tree is producing like mad and I have to make preserves tomorrow! They are so sweet, soft and warm straight from the tree. I love figs. The kids loved climbing the ladder to pick the ones at the tippy top.
Our first ground cherries...Pineapple Cossack. Very interesting flavor- creamy and sweet. Reminds me of something that I ate in Brazil, but I don't know what. I am not sure what to do with them, so I just eat them.
Seymour the Pumpkin Vine is no longer just a vine! We have found two pumpkins so far. This one is about 10 inches in diameter. Happy Halloween!
A few more days and Owen will get to taste his first homegrown cantaloupe. There are several hidden in the small garden. Can't wait to taste them with him.

2 comments:

  1. I thought those pineapple cossacks were tomatillos! We grew some last year and thought they tasted like mangos. I made alot of salsa with them. I just discovered a volunteer plant the other day, so I'm excited for another batch or two of salsa. They keep well in the fridge until you have enough to do something with and you can even freeze them. Just pop them in the freezer until you have enough to do something with. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea...salsa or freezer! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete