Small town family, Mollie, Will, Abigail, and Owen Smiley and Briar

Urbanna is an old historic town on the Rappahannock River. Its a small town with a big heart. As a family we try to eat local, grow as much food as we can in our own yard, try to raise children with an ecological identity, play hard, exercise, explore our area, fish, ride bikes, swim, and snuggle

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

6 Years of Birthday Parties

The Birthday Girl!
Today, Abigail turns six. Yes, it feels like she was just a 6 pound 8 ounce lump in my arms. Her blanky is still in one piece and so is her sparkly spirit. I didn't realize that I would love celebrating my children's birthdays as much as I do. I love dreaming up party plans with their help. My favorite part is baking and decorating the cakes. The first year we didn't really have a party, but my mom and I made a pretty cake which Abigail squished through her fingers and rubbed in her hair. Every year since Abigail has come up with a "theme" for her party, usually a few minutes after her current party ends. Age 2- beach party. Age 3- Sea Turtles. Age 4- Mermaid Party. Age 5- Hula Girl Party. Age 6- Dolphin party. Usually the theme helps me plan the cake, but it doesn't always go much past that point. Luckily that is fine with the birthday girl. Some years we have pulled off a thematic event, but usually Abigail's parties involve the pool, a slip and slide, sprinklers, hoses, kids of all ages in bathing suits, lemonade, chicken legs on the grill, beer, and sweaty, happy parents.

This year's party has come and gone, but it was a fun one. Owen skinned up his forehead as everyone arrived, but a few (long) minutes in the pool cured him! There was lots of swimming, jumping off the board, painting of the the Chickin Coop, slip and slidin', dinner, cake, Happy Birthday, and present openning under the dogwood tree. We finished off the party with "Magic Birthday Pot". A game that I have fond childhood memories of in my friend, Emlyn's, living room. It's a simple game of hot and cold, a blindfolded child with a wooden spoon and a surprise hidden under the magic birthday pot! I always remember Tyson and Stewart (the older brothers) always got ice cubes when they played the game. We have moved the game outdoors and it is a great way to wrap up a fun party.

So, tonight we celebrate Abigail with a special birthday dinner.  Steak, corn, swiss chard, cucumber salad and blackberry shortcake (her menu).  I think that the little mermaid is growing up a little too fast.

Mimi and Woodpop were the only guests at Abigail's first birthday
The mermaid at the mermaid party (4)
Magic Birthday Pot!
Jackson gets in on the birthday action again this year.

The Turtle Cake...loved the peppermint patty shell.

Mermaid Cake at Abigail's 4th birthday was a good one! 

Hula Girl cake at party #5!  Notice mint leaf tree...Abigail's touch
This year's cake was decorated by Maria and me again...mermaid riding a dolphin

1 comment:

  1. Edie gives me thematic direction every year too. Party looked like a good time. Happy Birthday Abigail. Six, really?

    ReplyDelete