Small town family, Mollie, Will, Abigail, and Owen Smiley and Briar

Urbanna is an old historic town on the Rappahannock River. Its a small town with a big heart. As a family we try to eat local, grow as much food as we can in our own yard, try to raise children with an ecological identity, play hard, exercise, explore our area, fish, ride bikes, swim, and snuggle

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Life is Better with Rainbow Chard

This spring has a been a good one for our swiss chard. Chard, along with blueberries are my favorite super foods! I got the seeds in the ground in very early March and we have been eating five color silverbeet since early May. We also had a few rows overwinter in the big garden and have been harvesting it since April. Rainbow chard makes you happy when you see it growing in the garden...red stems, white, pink and my favorite yellow brighten any weedy patch! It actually is a great ground cover and keeps the weeds under control.

In the kitchen I have tried cooking chard with various ingredients. It basically tastes great with anything. Tonight...sauted onions, garlic scapes, yellow squash, tomatoes, and chard. You can even make a great sandwich with chard...saute a little onion with the chopped stems of chard, add chopped leaves with some salt, pepper and Soul Seasoning. Slice muenster cheese and place on bread, add cooked chard and a little seasoning. Makes a delicious grilled cheese and chard sandwich. This will definitely hold me over until tomato sandwich season! In the fall I will cook apples with chard...really anything works with this garden jewel.
So pretty, so tasty and so good for you. I am glad that I discovered chard several years ago when we joined our CSA, Dayspring Farm. Spinach used to be my go to green, but it is tough to grow tender spinach in Tidewater Virginia. Chard doesn't even get very dirty...a quick rinse and it is dirt and grit free. Life is better with rainbow chard.

1 comment:

  1. I love your chard recipes. It's why I finally planted some this year.

    ReplyDelete